Get News & Updates Directly To Your Inbox
Delicious recipes, nutrition tips and "ask the dietitian."
Find A Doctor Or Hospital In Your Network.
Simple sugars, often found in sweets and snack foods, give us “empty” calories. Although they may give us a short-lived energy boost, they mainly add calories to our diets that don’t give our bodies any extra nutrients or longer-lasting energy in return.
The empty calories your body doesn’t use may show up on your waistline. Often, the results of added sugars on our health go beyond obesity. Eating too much sugar has been linked to:
For many people, it’s these hidden simple sugars that are the problem. Just where do sugars hide?
“Hidden” sugars lurk in many of our favorite foods and drinks. A medium vanilla latte? It has around 35 grams of sugar. A medium “sweet tea” can pack around 55 grams of sugar. A medium soda can serve up about 85 grams of sugar. There are also other hidden sources of sugar in less obvious foods. Pasta sauce, gravy, condiments, flavored yogurts and even “healthy” cereals can have a lot of sugar.
There are so many hidden, added sugars in prepared foods that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says nutrition labels should show the amount of added sugars as a part of the recommended daily calorie intake.
Most of the calories a person needs each day, about 85 percent, should be healthy, nutrient-dense foods, says the U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. That leaves just 15 percent for added sugars or saturated fats. That’s about 250 - 350 calories for most people.
The guidelines make it clear: Limit foods and beverages higher in added sugars, saturated fat and sodium – and limit alcoholic beverages. The new dietary guidelines recommend getting less than 10 percent of your calories per day from added sugars. ‘Added sugars’ is the key phrase here. Naturally occurring sugars, like those in fruit, are not included in the 10 percent.
Once someone gets a preference for a sweeter taste, it’s hard to change. But registered dietitian Judy Kolish says you can change your taste to like foods prepared with less sugar or in their whole, natural form.
We can become more tuned in to the amount of sugar in our food, she says. “Instead of always choosing sweet foods, choose foods you enjoy that are well-prepared.”
Try plain Greek or Icelandic-style yogurt and add low-fat granola, dried or fresh fruit to taste. You might be surprised at how your tastes can change about less-sweet foods.
“When you stop to be in the moment and be mindful of what you are eating, you may even find that you dislike foods that are overly sweet,” she says.
Try these tips to curb your sweet tooth:
Need more tips on nutrition? Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 offers a look at our eating habits and changes for better health.
Originally published 6/23/2016; Revised 2019, 2022
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, a Division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
© Copyright 2023 Health Care Service Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Telligent is an operating division of Verint Americas, Inc., an independent company that provides and hosts an online community platform for blogging and access to social media for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois.
File is in portable document format (PDF). To view this file, you may need to install a PDF reader program. Most PDF readers are a free download. One option is Adobe® Reader® which has a built-in screen reader. Other Adobe accessibility tools and information can be downloaded at https://access.adobe.com.
Powered by Telligent